Sunday, December 29, 2019

Back to the Classics Challenge Wrap-Up


I completed the Back to the Classics Challenge - reading and writing a review for books in all 12 categories (giving me 3 entries into the drawing). The reading part wasn't difficult, but it was sometimes hard to get around to writing the review. 

1. 19th Century Classic. 
Rob Roy (1817) by Sir Walter Scott. I read many books that would fit in this category. I just picked this one, because I found time to write a review about it. I did read my original pick Ivanhoe, but I never got around to writing a review for it.

2. 20th Century Classic. 
How the Heather Looks by Joan Bodger (1965). This was another easy category to fulfill; though not as many books in it are in public domain. This was a school geography books for my 7th grader.

3. Classic by a Female Author. 
I did end up reading my original pick, The Shuttle (1906) by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

4. Classic in Translation. 
The Way of a Pilgrim by Anonymous Russian author (1860) that I received for Christmas. This was my first read for this challenge.

5. Classic Comedy. 
 Philip did indeed read aloud Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (1889) to me.

6. Classic Tragedy.  
Well, I never did get around to reading Wuthering Heights. Instead I read Kenilworth (1821) by Sir Walter Scott. I didn’t realize it was a tragedy until the end, but it was fortuitous that I was able to use it for this category.

7. Very Long Classic.
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (1867) Read as planned.

8. Classic Novella. 
Lady Susan (1871) by Jane Austen which is only 180 pages. I did also read Breakfast at Tiffany’s, but it was so disappointing and awful, I didn’t want to dwell on it longer by writing a review.

9. Classic From the Americas 
I ended up just read something from an US author, since One Hundred Years of Solitude was only available at the online library in audiobook, and I couldn’t any of the other books I wanted to read.  I went with Personal Rcollections of Joan of Arc (1896) by Mark Twain.

10. Classic From Africa, Asia, or Oceania (includes Australia). 
I had a hard time finding an available book for this category. I kept looking up books that weren’t available at my online library or at Gutenberg.org that I hadn’t read and actually wanted to read. Finally, I heard about A Town Like Alice (1950) by Nevil Shute which was available on the online library and partially set in Australia. I’m glad to have discovered it.

11. Classic From a Place You've Lived. 
Four Reigns (1953) by Kukrit Pramoj set in Thailand where I currently live.

12. Classic Play. 
 I ended up choosing Othello as Eris and were reading it together and almost finished. I had to finish on my own, though.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I am so impressed with your completion of this challenge and your reviews for them.
    You are spurring me on to maybe do the same.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete