Saturday, December 7, 2019

Book Review: A Town Like Alice

I really enjoyed "A Town Like Alice" by Nevile Shute (1950). I read this to fulfill the "Classic From Africa, Asia, or Oceania (includes Australia)" category in the Back to the Classics reading challenge. The main part of the story began in Malaysia, which seemed like home since I live in the Thai-Malay Peninsula. When it moved to London or Australia, I was in a foreign land.

Books like this are how I travel, and also make me want to travel. Of course, if I went to the Outback now, it would not be like the 1940's, though it would still be huge and rugged and sparsely populated with tough people. I enjoy strong characters, and this one contained a lovely woman. She was brave, intelligent, humble, and flexible. With the help of an inheritance, she figured out what she wanted and set about achieving it. 

This was a fun and easy read. I'm not sure I would have discovered it with this challenge. It was one of the few "classic" books I had access to about this part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment