Monday, December 9, 2019

Book Review: The Personal Reflections of Joan of Arc

This is the penultimate review for the Back to the Classics Reading Challenge. I read The Personal Reflections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain ahead of Eris for school. It's not the ideal book to choose for the "Classic from the Americas" category, because even though Mark Twain is a very American author, the subject is decidedly not. However, I had some trouble finding the books I had hoped to read for this category and was reading this one anyway.

Before reading this, I already knew much of the story of Joan of Arc; I even did a report on her in grade school. I almost decided not to read this book along with Eris, since I didn't feel I needed a refresher on the Maid of Orleans. However, while looking into the book, I came across some information claiming that Mark Twain thought this was his best book and was his personal favorite. I figured that if this was so, it would be worth reading.

The story is from the point of view of a man who grow up with Joan, served with her in battle, and was present during her imprisonment, trial, and death. I didn't learn much more than I already knew about the story of Joan; the majority of her story is famous and well known by many. However, I do feel like I know Joan better.  Of course, this is merely an illusion, since the story is actually written by a man who lived far after Joan and not by someone who was her friend. It was well done, and this feeling of personal knowledge is the best part of the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment