Saturday, September 21, 2019

Book Review: Rob Roy

I'm catching up on my book reviews for the Back to the Classics Challenge. I've read multiple 19th century classics this year. I am participating in an online reading group for Sir Walter Scott's novels. I am abashed to admit that before December of last year, I had never read one of his books. I am making up for that this year. Starting with Waverly, I have continued by reading Rob Roy, Ivanhoe, The Talisman, and currently Kenilworth. I'm not sure if Waverly or Rob Roy is my favorite so far, but since the former was read in a previous year and doesn't count for this challenge, I will write a review on the latter.

As many of Scott's book, Rob Roy begins with detailing the background and history of the chief characters before diving into the plot. I have come to appreciate this style more, as I realize how much I know about and care about each principal character before the story truly begins. For this particular tale, I was nearly a quarter of the way through the book before I was sure who the eponymous character was. (Hint: it is not the protagonist; that would be Francis Osbaldistone.)

The book has everything a romance novel should: a lady, an unlikely hero, fighting, intrigue, and a champion of dubious integrity. The Scottish dialect made a few sections of the book confusing, but usually the import of the conversation would become clear with continued reading. It was actually fun for me to try to figure out if I could understand what was being said before Francis Osbaldistone did. The plot was wrapped up rather quickly. After spending so much time drawing us into the lives of the characters, I would have appreciated a few chapters at the end to allow us to enjoy their fates.

Since I have gotten asked 4 times, "What's for snack?" I better wrap this up. Now I am caught up on the reviews for now, and can read guilt-free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment