Sunday, December 29, 2019

Book Review: Othello

This is my final book review for the Back to the Classics Challenge - the category of play. Eris and I didn't quite finish this before Christmas break, so I finished it on my own. I already knew the basic story line but never actually read it.

I was surprised by how wily and truly evil Iago was. The audience knows more than the characters, so it's amazing how fooled they all are about his character. He is thought to be honest and good, even his wife doesn't suspect his duplicity until near the end. It's scary how well his deception worked.

Since it's a Shakespeare tragedy, more people die than seems necessary. The language was not as beautiful to me as in some of his plays. Some of the best lines were soured in the mouth of Iago. Desdemona does have some nice lines on love near the beginning. I'm not a Shakespeare expert by any means, but I did not enjoy this play as much as some others.

No comments:

Post a Comment