Saturday, December 7, 2019

Book Review: War and Peace

Well, I did it. I read all 1,392 pages of  "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy! It's a difficult book to write a review about, because it's much lauded. The story covers many characters, weaving in and out of their lives, traversing between the fighting men and those at home. It seems to give an in depth view of Russian upper class society during Napoleon's campaign against Russia and after. I didn't know much about this slice of history, and now I can say I know Tolstoy's impression.

Tolstoy doesn't just stick to a story. He includes his own theories of war and history and why people do what they do. To me, these were bumps in the narrative. I would be enjoying the story, and then Tolstoy's voice would jump in. Perhaps his views were novel and important at the time.

I haven't read any reviews about what is supposed to make this book so great. Other than its massiveness, I believe this tale tried to develop "true-to-life" characters. There are no heroes, few heroic events, tragedies drift into the past. People change - change their opinions, philosophies of life, romantic interests. The vast cast of character narrows to a handful in the end, about who the reader cares.

I read this over the year with a group of people. It was hard for me to read it on a schedule. I would read a bunch, and then wait a while before reading again. I was rarely eager to read it, though there were times I enjoyed it. It wasn't suspenseful; it was just there. A bit like daily life. So maybe that is what makes it special - we get to live a small section of life in Russia at the beginning of the 19th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment