Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Book Review: Three Men in a Boat

Both Philip (my husband) and I had heard good this about this 19th century comedy by Jerome K. Jerome, so he agreed to read this aloud to me. I think it was better read aloud, so we could enjoy our laughs together. There were a few times when I really did laugh out loud, though more times I just smiled or chuckled. The self-deprecating British humour is not really my style, I think. Philip appreciated it more, which made it more enjoyable for me.

The book is not really a story and most of it is not about "three men in a boat." It is a series of anecdotes that just happen to be centered around a boat trip up the Thames. Since I am currently studying two periods of British history with various children, I appreciated many references to places and historical events. These were the times I giggled or exclaimed with interested when Philip was silent. If nothing else, homeschooling is giving me a deeper appreciation for British literature.

This book has been listed as a travelogue, and in a way it is, but I believe the purpose for which it was written was as a comedy. It fit the bill well enough for me to agree. There are other purported comedies I read that did not seem funny enough to qualify for this category. I'm glad to have found one to tickle my funny bone, at least a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment