Thursday, January 17, 2019

Review: The Way of a Pilgrim

Here is my first review for the Back to the Classics Challenge. I don't enjoy writing book reviews, and I don't yet have a good format. Maybe this challenge will help with that. In fourth grade, we were supposed to write a short summary for every book we read on a little paper train car. Our class goal was to have the train go all around the classroom walls by the end of the year. The end of the year was approaching and we weren't there yet; I had a stack of train cars in my desk with the name and author filled out. I decided to get busy and filled out all the summaries. When I turned them in, the train finished its way around the room and continued winding almost another quarter of the way around. For this challenge, I'm hoping to not wait until the last minute and to "fill out my train cars" as I read.

I read The Way of a Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way written between 1853 and 1861 by an anonymous Russian pilgrim translated into English by R.M. French for the "Classic in Translation" category. As part of his journey of faith, he challenges himself to "pray without ceasing" as exhorted by Paul in his first letter to the Thessalonians. I myself have wondered about this and have read and listened to various interpretations. This particular pilgrim wandered about listening to sermons on the subject from the well known Russian Orthodox teachers of the day, yet he still didn't feel satisfied that he knew how to pray without ceasing. Finally, he finds a teacher who is able to share with him the (or maybe a) secret of praying in this way. This begins his adventures as he learns the technique and continues his travels, praying and teaching others.

I wanted to read this book because I am interested in prayer and have been challenging myself in prayer for the last few years. As far as relevance to me, I did find much of teachings applicable to my life and what I believe. I am not Russian Orthodox, so I did not agree with some of the exposition, but this was minor compared to what I felt I could agree with or at least believe possible.

Since this book is meant to be a record of a journey and to teach fellow pilgrims, plus the fact that I am not reading it in the original language, I don't feel must critic is warranted on the writing style. It was an enjoyable read and the narrative was easy to follow. It contained many stories within the story which broke up what could have otherwise become a tedious list of places and people.

I would recommend this for any Christian who is interested in learning more about prayer and is open to styles and teachings possibly different from what s/he is comfortable with. I plan to write a separate post on my personal reflections from the book (if I get to it ;) ). But for now, I am going to call this review finished and get the kids ready for bed. One down 11 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment