Friday, March 17, 2017

Protection and Blessing

As I shared with the children today about St. Patrick, we had the opportunity to talk about spiritual warfare. The older children, especially Eris my budding writer and poet, were interested in St. Patrick's Lorica as we read it together. It is a beautiful prayer, but also powerful. Anyone who has an effective ministry will be attacked by the devil. Certainly St. Patrick would have been a prime target as he nearly single-handedly converted an entire nation. It can be easy to miss the spiritual battle or think that we are not worthy of being targeted. A mother trying to raise her children to follow the Lord; a Sunday school teacher; a father reading the Word to his family; a co-worker living out faith; a student speaking the truth in love... effective ministers for the gospel of Christ and a threat to Satan's plans.

So what do we do? Recognize the battle and prepare against it. St. Patrick's Lorica (Breastplate) is an act of putting on armor. The breastplate of our righteousness in Christ (Eph. 6:14); faith in the One who has saved us and love for our Lord and the lost (1 Thes 5:8).

I arise today
Through God's strength to guide me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's Wisdom to lead me
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's host to defend me
    against snares of devils,
    against temptations of vices,
    against the lusts of nature,
    against all who wish me harm
    from far or near
    with few or the many.

The kids were able to recognize ways in which the enemy fights against us, especially in regards to our involvement in Saturday Kids' Club. So we equip ourselves through prayer and rely on God's strength daily. The battle is real, but the battle is the Lord's.

Blessings on this St. Patrick's night, especially for the Mommy's:

May the quiet nights be many
May the tantrums be few
May kisses flow freely
And you hear "I love you!"

May you always remember
You're His voice, you're His hands
To each of the blessings
He's given you to tend.


No comments:

Post a Comment