Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Grandpa

Let me tell you about my Grandpa. He was the kindest, most patient man I ever knew. I've never heard someone say a bad word about him. He loved his family and always had time for his grandchildren. Even in the midst of a busy estate sale, he would answer my questions or let his grandchildren "help." I could never have imagined a better Grandpa.

Grandpa loved to fish, and he helped me (and many others) catch my first fish. He patiently rowed me to the best spots on Clear Lake, baiting my hook, showing me how to cast, untangling my line. He pointed out as the tip of the pool gently bent toward the water. Then let me do all the reeling in, holding the pole up as needed, and expertly slipping the net under as soon as the fish was near the boat. He allowed me to row to shore, weaving and splashing, never once showing exasperation at my ineptitude. Back at camp, he let me take all the credit for the trout; then gutted and cleaned it for me. In later years, I enjoyed rowing Grandpa around while he fished. Those shared moments of silence on the water are precious to me.

Grandpa enjoyed ice cream, vanilla. Whenever he had a chance, he would take a bowl - at the Clear Lake lodge, at my parents, at most any restaurant. And he always shared. My mom says he even gave me a bite when I was about 8 months old. When my grandparents would visit our house, they would often bring Burger King. Grandpa made sure everyone got what they wanted. If there was a mistake in the order, he offered to go back and get the right item or to trade his fish sandwich to the injured party. Grandpa rarely had to go back to the restaurant, since there were always plenty of french fries and milkshakes to go around to appease any grumpy child.

As a young child, we drive from Portland to the beach cabin on my dad's free weekends. We would arrive what seemed to be late at night, but Grandma and Grandpa would waiting up for us. Grandpa would have a roaring fire in the wood stove to make sure that it was plenty warm. I liked to sleepily curl up next to him while Daddy unpacked the Suburban. If I wasn't too sleepy, he would make sure I got a snack before going up to bed. When we visited Grandpa just a month ago and I told him we were going to the cabin, he wanted to make sure that we had enough wood. He was concerned that he hadn't been able to chop any this year. He always put others needs above his own.

Grandpa and Grandma came to my gymnastic meets, piano recitals, Christmas concerts, and school plays. They traveled to New Orleans for my college graduation. I slowly walked around the plantations with Grandpa while Grandma wheeled on ahead with the others. It was a pleasure to let Grandpa take his time, as he had so often done with me.

Just a month ago, my family was in Oregon and I spent time with Grandpa on three occasions. I told him I loved him and he said, "I love you." He held my hand, expressed surprise that I had 5 children, and drank his chocolate milk. All five of my children got to meet him and show him love. He held Calla and did not want to let her go. I will always be wondrously grateful for those moments, for that chance for a last kiss "good bye."

June 11, 1921-March 7, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment