Thursday, May 7, 2015

Lorica of St. Patrick

This post may seem to be nearly two months late but really has little to do with St. Patrick's Day and more about a truly great Christian man. I've been reading a book about St. Patrick I found at the English library. So many myths and legends surround this man; the Irish culture and tradition lends itself to some bizarre portrayals. "The Steadfast Man: A Life of St. Patrick" examines the scarce historical records on the true Patrick - namely, two documents he himself wrote, as well as few contemporary (that is in his lifetime) descriptions of him. Carefully piecing together the details, Paul Gallico is able to accurately (or so it appears) paint a picture of man who truly loved God and spent his life serving Him.

Many of us have heard the story of how young Patrick, at the time Magonus Sucatus Patricius, was taken by Irish raider from Britain and sold as a slave. From there, I knew nothing else of his life other than he later returned to Ireland to spread the gospel and died on March 17th. Not much else of his life is actually confirmed historically; even the years of his birth and death are uncertain. The speculation in this book is interesting enough, but what I have really enjoyed is learning the true character of the man.

Patrick's writings leave no doubt that he was a man of faith and purpose. The Lord clearly called him to spread the gospel to Ireland, and he did. It is encouraging to read of a man, long ago in the fourth or fifth century A.D., with God's guiding converting an entire nation from paganism to Christianity. It inspires me to be steadfast, humble, and self-sacrificing. Patrick gave glory to God for everything he was able to accomplish. That same God is living in me!

Lorica is the Latin word for breastplate which was the name given to certain morning prayers in St. Patrick's era. A lovely one is attributed to him. It's a wonderful idea to think of the first prayer of the day as a protection for the events to follow, like putting on the armor of God in Ephesians 6. Patrick was acutely aware of both physical and spiritual battles in his daily life for which he required the Lord's safekeeping. It is a beautiful poetical prayer that, with the exception of a couple stanzas, I find my own heart echoing.

I arise today
Through a mighty strength,
The invocation of the Trinity
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through Confessions of the Oneness,
Towards the Creator.

I arise today
Through the strength of Christ with His Baptism,
Through the strength of His crucifixion with His Burial,
Through the strength of His Resurrection with His Ascension,
Through the strength of His descent for the Judgement of Doom.

(This stanza reflects some teachings of the church at the time regarding angels, which do not resonate with me.)
I arise today
Through the strength of the love of cherubim,
In obedience of angels,
In service of archangels,
In the hope of resurrection to meet with reward,
In the prayers of patriarchs,
In preachings of the apostles,
In faiths of confessors,
In innocence of virgins,
In deeds of righteous men.


I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock.


I arise today
Through God's strength to guide me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's Wisdom to lead me
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's host to defend me
    against snares of devils,
    against temptations of vices,
    against the lusts of nature,
    against all who wish me harm
    from far or near
    with few or the many.

(This stanza reflects the many dangers with which Patrick was afflicted.)
I summon today all these powers between me and evil,
Against every cruel merciless power that opposes my body and soul,
Against incantations of false prophets,
Against black laws of pagandom,
Against false laws of heretics,
Against craft of idolatry,
Against spells of women and smiths and wizards,
Against every knowledge that corrupts man's body and soul.
Christ shield me today
Against poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
So that reward may come to me in abundance.


Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ where I lie, Christ where I sit, Christ where I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through a mighty strength,
The invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through Confession of the Oneness
Towards the Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment