Sunday, May 10, 2015

For My Mother

I am blessed to have grown-up with a stay-at-home mom. My parents made many sacrifices, so that, even when my dad was in graduate school, my brother and I could be with our mother. I know we had so many of the wonderful benefits of having an intelligent, well educated parent be our teacher for 24 hours a day. What I really remember, however, was the joy of having my mom at home even after I went to school. So many of the benefits for older children having a stay-at-home mom are not expounded, especially when the children are sent to school. So here's to my mother, the best one of all!

Thank you, Mom, for choosing to remain at home when I was not. I do not remember the hours you were with me as an infant, changing diapers, rocking, breastfeeding, reading countless books, though, I realize this time you invested helped develop my character. But I do remember never having to worry when I got sick at school whether it would be a bother for you to get off work. My friends all wanted to come to my house because we were sure of a welcome hug, snacks, and a chat about our day. Meals, while not fancy, were homemade and healthy. When I wanted to talk, you always had the time to listen. You knew all my friends, classmates, and teachers, so could easily follow the conversation. You were always there, often taken for granted.

I know the original plan was for you to go back to work when Michael and I were both in school, but I'm so glad it didn't happen that way. Thank you, Mom, for staying at home when I was wanting to be independent. And thank you, Daddy, for comprising to be ok with it. I had the wonderful opportunity to do things on my own, all the while knowing you were available when I felt I needed you, and even when I thought I didn't. When I was in high school, I still normally invited friends to my house. Even though we were perfectly capable of preparing our own snacks, you would frequently have something ready, always yummy and always healthy. We were still also assured of a home cooked supper. What I remember most was that when I wanted to talk, you still always had the time to listen. The time between when I arrived from school and we ate supper was available for us to spend together. Just being with you, I learned so much of being a woman of God, a wife, a mother. I also realized that growing in the Lord is a continual process and that you were still learning.

Even more amazing, God allowed you to be a stay-at-home mom for me when I was in residency. Although you had responsibilities in Corvallis, not the least of which was Dad, you were able to come to Terre Haute for weeks at a time to be a stay-at-home grandma. I don't know how we would have managed through those times without you; the Lord provided the perfect solution (although not so perfect for Dad and my grandparents, maybe). I was so blessed to know that my children were being cared for by the godly, loving woman who was willing to sacrifice so much for her children.
Thank you, Mom, for still being available when I need you. For loving me and my family. For showing me how to follow the Lord and surrender to Him, in all our imperfections. For not expecting me to be perfect, but for expecting me to persevere. For holding on to me when needed, for letting go when it is time. For holding me daily in prayer through these difficult times. For being a friend, for being a mother. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment