Thursday, May 28, 2015

Hollis's Birth Part II

I thought about walking to L&D but decided to let Philip push me in a wheel chair. Turned out to be a good decision, because I had my first strong contraction on the way down the hall. Barb was already anxiously awaiting us at the nurses' station. No one questioned whether or not I was in labor. They efficiently got me settled in a delivery room. After monitoring contractions and baby's heartbeat for a few minutes, I was free to move around. I drank some apple juice and walked around the small room but decided I was more comfortable in bed.

I lay quietly resting with Philip at my head. He would hold my hand and breathe with me through the contractions. They were strong but not unbearable. I kept waiting for them to get stronger, thinking I still had a long way to go. Suddenly, I felt the urge to push. I thought it couldn't be time yet. The contractions were not too strong; my water hadn't broken. I couldn't wait any longer. The nurses and doctors had been thoughtfully leaving me alone, so we pushed the call light. When no one came and I didn't think I could wait, Philip stuck his head out into the hall. A rush of activity ensued. I reached down and felt the soft downy head. Then when Barb was ready, I pushed through one contraction - three times. My water broke and out came a beautiful pink baby, right hand up beside her face (sometime called "reaching for the wallet"). Barb cut the cord and handed the baby to Philip. Another girl and our first morning baby! He named her Hollis June.

Third time proved to be the "charm" for us. This baby was perfectly healthy. Before she had her bath, I held her right up to my skin, and she latched right on for her first meal. Philip bathed her right in the room while I ate my breakfast. I felt well rested, even energized. I had had about six hours good sleep, a short labor, been in the hospital less than 2 hours, and had my baby in my arms. Hollis stayed the night in the room with us and by 24 hours old, we were on our way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment