Saturday, May 2, 2015

Eris's Birth Part II

The chaplain settled me in a wheelchair and pushed me to the elevator. Philip was directed stay downstairs and fill out paperwork. I was about to protest that I really needed my husband with me but was silenced by another contraction.

It seemed like forever before Philip was able to rejoin me. Then my mom came up. I can't relate clearly much of what happened during the next hours. Resting in the warm water of the bathtub helped ease the pain somewhat. I wanted the water hotter than was allowed; I like my baths steaming. The nurses kept needing to try to find the baby's heartbeat; I would have to sit up out of the water for this, and it was quite uncomfortable. Eventually they requested that I get out of the tub so they could monitor the baby's heart rate better. I was in to much pain and too exhausted to question what was happening. They did tell me the baby was fine, so I just took that at face value.

Laying on the bed, the contractions became even stronger and more close together. I don't remember how far along I was at this point or how long I had been in labor, but I do remember that I was hopelessly far away from being complete. Philip was in too much pain from his back to do any massage, support me to stand and "dance," or even support me on the birthing ball. At one point, he experienced a wave of pain so severe it nearly caused him to collapse. The nurse recognized it and called a "code DAD," or something like that. A bunch of nurses hurried into the room and helped Philip lay down on the couch in the room. Another link in our carefully laid plans gone wrong. I broke down in my resolution to have a completely natural birth, and whined for "medicine." I didn't want an epidural, and I couldn't even remember the name for anything else. It's probably a good thing, because if I had asked for morphine or something else by name, it would have been harder for Philip to convince them not to give it to me. Months before, I had requested that Philip not allow me to give in, since I knew that I would be frustrated with myself if I were to not to stay firm. Philip upheld his end of the deal, better than I did. He later told me that the nurse told him that if I asked for something one more time, she would feel obligated to give me something. Fortunately, at that point I was too exhausted to request anything further.

Philip later mentioned that from his vantage point, it looked like I was relaxing and breathing just the way the Bradley books recommended. In reality, I was just focusing on breathing and couldn't think beyond the end of each contraction. My mom was at my head, breathing with me. I know it sounds strange, but without her there, I'm not sure I could have kept breathing. Finally, I got to the point where I could hardly keep myself from pushing, so I was told to go ahead. It was such a relief to be able to do something other than just ride through the pain. Three hours later, my energy was nearly spent. The baby's heart rate was still okay but mine was spiking very high. I was breathing oxygen between contractions but wasn't getting much of a rest as they were coming too quickly. Eventually, I was offered a vacuum assisted delivery. The baby was far enough down for this but still high enough that it was going to take quite a bit more pushing and not much progress was being made. In my bleary state, I weighed the options and chose the vacuum.

Just two contractions later, my baby was born. In all the excitement, I had to ask if it was a boy or girl. Everyone had forgotten all about that. The doctor handed Philip the baby and he looked stunned. He had been convinced all along that our first baby would be a boy, plus the story of a friend whose recent baby had been mistakenly announce by the grandmother, "It's a boy!" was going through his mind. Finally, he said, "It's a girl!" He placed her in my arms and I named her "Eris Mae."

Shortly after that, Eris was taken to the nursery for monitoring. She was breathing too quickly; Philip went with her. After my stitches were finished, my dad, brother, and two friends who had been waiting came in. They had been able to see Eris in the nursery. By this time it was late and my mom, who is not a night person in the best situations, was exhausted. My Dad drove her home, and I was alone. It was certainly not the happy birth experience I had anticipated. I was too exhausted and in pain to go see my baby in the nursery. I was assured that she was just fine and would likely transition out of this phase without any future trouble, but it still wasn't what I wanted. My Dad came back to spend the night at the hospital with me; he understood my feelings and I was able to cry a little bit.

Four days later, we were able to take Eris home. It was then that I was able to experience all the new mommy feelings of joy and pride. I was so happy to have a sweet baby girl who was healthy. I was proud of myself for going through eleven hours of tough labor and thankful for my husband and mother who had helped me. Since then, motherhood has continued to present challenges but each moment is also filled with so much joy and love. I love being a mommy so much, and I have three other birth stories to prove it!

No comments:

Post a Comment