Wednesday, June 24, 2015

When the Cat's Away, the Mice... Fuss!

At supper, Philip asked me what I thought about him going to a movie this evening. I was curious to know what time, so he looked up the schedule and said 7:40; he would need to leave at little after 7:00. This gave him time to finish supper with us and wash the dishes, as he usually does. He also wouldn't be back too late, so I thought it sounded fine. I usually do most of the bedtime routine with the kids, so it's not much different when he's not around, other than I have to sing the bedtime songs instead.

Well, just as soon as Philip walks out the gate, things begin to go awry. Simeon had fallen asleep in his high chair during supper. Often a short nap at this time, allows him to get through to bedtime without a fuss. This time, he woke up when Philip was getting ready to leave and was not happy. He screams the whole time I cleaned up his high chair. The girls are supposed to be putting the blocks away and getting ready for their shower. I pick Simeon up, and as he begins calming down, Eris informs me that Meriel had just dumped all the blocks out. I order her to "pick them up right now." She tells me, "No!" For the sake of a peaceful evening, I consider overlooking this sass since she does start to put the blocks in the box, but then she sticks her tongue out at me. I send her straight to the shower, and the second wailing episode begins.

I settle down on the couch to nurse Simeon into a better mood. Then Eris arrives to explain that Meriel is using "enough soap for six Meriels." Again, I consider letting this go, but we've had "lessons" on this (we have all sorts of interesting "lessons" such as practicing saying thank you to those who give up seats for us on public transportation, learning what voice volume is appropriate to use in crowded places) with me demonstrating how much soap to use and how to obtain it followed by each child showing me how to do it and then a "practice session." I really feel I should be consistent in encouraging the girls not be wasteful, so I set Simeon down to go into the bathroom to remind Meriel how to press the soap dispenser head down partway. Simeon throws a fit.

Again, I'm on the couch calming Simeon. Eris enters, "The shower head is spraying funny. I can't really explain it." Simeon has to unlatch again, he's just getting to big to carry and nurse at the same time if I need the use of my hands. He's mad. I'm frustrated. I think that the girls must have done something to break the shower head; often they let it swing down to slam against the wall instead of replacing it in its holder. When I turn on the water to examine how it's flowing, I realize that the hose is leaking. This is probably just a matter of wear and tear, so I am a bit mollified. Eris starts crying because she doesn't want to use the squeeze sprayer or bucket and dipper for her shower. "I wish Daddy were here!" "I wish he were too," I think; out loud, "If he were I don't think he'd be able to fix it tonight. Just rinse off quickly."

I get Meriel into bed. She's fussing because she doesn't get a story. Simeon is screaming so I can barely hear her. I patiently explain that she needs to remember to be respectful to Mommy and that is why she does not get a story. I need to get Simeon calmed down, and I will check on her when I tuck Hollis in in a little bit. She does calm down a bit, and I know she will fall asleep quickly. I give her a big hug and kiss.

Finally, I'm back on the couch, nursing Simeon and ready to read Hollis's story. Simeon likes this library book, which is a story about a dog. He's happy now and Hollis is in a good mood because she got a nap before supper. I am thankful, because otherwise I would be dealing with another naughty child. After her story, I remember that Hollis has not done her homework for preschool the next day. I'm doubly grateful for her nap that will allow her to do her page of tracing 6 and ๖ without hassle. She cheerily and carefully does her page while I read Eris's story.

Then Hollis is in bed. As I'm at the door, she calls me back because she has forgotten to give me a hug, then an "Eskimo kiss." Now the door is shutting, Simeon is fussing about something and I accidentally clip his heel in the door, so now he has a reason to cry. I'm down to two. Simeon usually likes showers, so I pacify him by telling him it's shower time. As we're taking a shower, he gets mad again because we can't use the regular shower head. We hurry through and get out. Eris is trying to play a computer game, a treat since Daddy is gone and we have a chance to use it. She's having trouble figuring out what to do next. I make a note that we have to somehow get her more computer literate, since it's so important these days. It's hard with Philip using the computer nearly constantly, except when he's doing something with the kids.

When it's time for Eris to wrap up what she's doing on the computer, she gets attacked by one of the "phantoms" in the game. She's frustrated; she had wanted to complete the adventure. She doesn't like doing things that she is not immediately good at. She's crying out of frustration, missing Daddy, weariness. She wants to go to bed; perfect because it is time for her to do so. I tuck her in. One child sleep child left.

I hear Eris sobbing because she wants me to sleep with her, but she knows I'm not going to tonight. I couldn't stay with her longer because Simeon was threatening to wake up her sisters. She will calm down and fall asleep soon. Simeon clambers for my attention. At first he wants to wiggle and nurse, but I chide him when he gets too wild and set him aside. He screams, calms, climbs back in my arms ready to rest. Gradually the whimpers from the bedroom subside. Simeon nurses to sleep in my lap as I write this.

Four children asleep. Actually, it wasn't really that bad. Now it's Mommy time!

No comments:

Post a Comment