Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Lead the Way

If you've ever tried to walk through a crowded place with a child, you've probably figured out that young children are not very good at navigating. Or maybe your children are better at that than mine. The ideal situation is to walk hand in hand, side by side. In Bangkok, however, this is often impossible, even with only one child. Food carts, poles, flower pots, holes clutter the sidewalks leaving little room for people to pass. Add people waiting for buses, in line to buy food, meandering as they look at their phones, riding mopeds and push carts, and it is often necessary to walk single file.

If I put a child in front of me, I can easily keep track of her. But then she minces along, getting distracted by every little thing. She has trouble making the decision which direction to go around an obstacle. She stops for a moped directly in the middle of its intended path. She hesitates before every turn and curve. She often obliviously runs into a person or step into his way. An already slow and hindered trip becomes unbearably frustrating.

The second option is for the child to follow me. I can lead the way, threading decisively around, through, and between obstacles. I step aside for mopeds, the elderly, and heavily laden pedestrians. The problem with this is that I cannot see whether or not the child is actually following me. They often have trouble following right on my heels and get too far behind. If I have a free hand, I guide her in this way, but often I am caring heavy bags and this is not possible. Usually, I have her hold onto my skirt but this can also lead to trouble with a lagging child blocking the way with a stretched out skirt. Try this operation with four children, and it is a wonder we ever make it anywhere!
This morning, I was thinking about how difficult it can be to physically guide my children around the swarming streets of Bangkok. How much more challenging and crucial it is to direct them through the spiritual aspects of life. I, as a mother, need to be at the forefront showing my children how to push through discouragement, avoid temptation, embrace adversity. I can teach them how to remain aware of the spiritual battles raging around us daily. I must run the race without meandering or hesitation. They will follow me, so I better be following Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment