Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Bookworms and a Lookworm

As young as she is, Calla knows that books are important and special. When she escapes into the room our family calls the library, she runs to the bookshelf and pulls out a book. Sometimes she will sit on the stairs or couch and page through it, intently peering at each page. Other times she will return for book after book until she has a pile nearby. She has a great example with three older sister readers. Eris has long been a bookworm, and Meriel is entering the realm of bibliophiles as well. Although Hollis prefers more active pursuits, she is frequently found perusing a short "chapter book." Simeon recently coined the term "lookworm" for himself, meaning a person who likes to look at, rather than read, books.

Yes, books are important to us. When my parents come to visit us, we fill their suitcases with books and Tillamook Cheese. Most of the "chapter books" I read aloud with my children or buy for their birthdays, I read and enjoyed when I was a child. I am reading aloud through the Anne of Green Gables series with Eris, and I've just started the Chronicles of Narnia with Meriel. (Starting with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; no chronological nonsense for me.) However, I've been lucky enough to find a few new discoveries, as well.

One of these new treats has been the author Elizabeth Enright. A couple years ago, we got Eris the four volume Melendy series, starting with The Saturdays. The stories are wholesome, the children are respectful, good lessons are taught without being preachy. The plots are interesting but not too flashy. The first two books are about four children; later a fifth is added. The children are excited to read about families with five children, and we are always on the look out for those. Even though I missed these books as a child, I am glad I get to enjoy them with my children.

Every year for Christmas and birthdays, Philip gets a book to read aloud to Meriel - a book which Eris had not read. The latest was Gone Away Lake by the same author. Meriel enjoys re-reading to herself those books which have been read aloud to her. I have not read this one yet, but I have heard some of it discussed at the supper table. I look forward to reading it to Simeon when he is ready. For now, we are eagerly anticipating the sequel, Return to Gone Away; maybe Meriel will get it for her birthday!

We are always on the lookout for great books to share with our children. Meriel and Hollis enjoy receiving books which none of the other children have read. By the time Calla is a reader that will really be a challenge! Please share any ideas you might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment