Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Thunderstorm with Maiden

A couple of nights ago we had our first thunderstorm in several months. After a busy day at the water park, Hollis managed to sleep through it; Meriel and Eris joined us in bed for a few restless, noisy hours. Midnight thunderstorms always remind me of our dog Maiden, who was terribly frightened of loud bangs. During a storm, I would always find her to hold and comfort her. One particular storm I will never forget.

During our transition time of finishing up medical school in Beer Sheva, Israel and getting settled in Terre Haute, Indiana, Maiden stayed at my parents in Oregon. When we found a house to move into in Terre Haute, my parents arranged for her to fly out to us. We had planned it so our first night in the new house was on the day Maiden arrived. We had mattresses on the floor and a few pots from Goodwill; we were ready to start getting settled in our own home. Eris was already asleep and I was getting ready for bed when we started to notice a subtle smell of gas. It was an old home not well kept, so while we really wanted to just ignore it and stay in the house, we knew the smart thing to do was to get out. Philip called the appropriate agencies regarding a potential gas leak while I packed what we would need for the night and got Eris and Maiden into the car. We were fortunate to have not finished the temporary contract with the apartment nearby, so we had a ready place to stay. However, pets were not allowed.

I was sad to have to live Maiden in the car on her very first night in Terre Haute and after a separation of nearly six months. I made sure she had her favorite blanket and some water if she needed, cracked the windows, and hugged her good night. Some time in the wee hours, I was awakened by a loud crash. Rain rushed down in torrents while lightening tore up the sky. I knew Maiden would be terrified. Eris was sound a sleep on a bed of pillows on the floor; Philip was snoring lightly on the bed. I slipped out of the bedroom out to the front porch. From there, I used the unlock button on the key fob to unlock the car doors before dashing through the rain.

Maiden was shaking uncontrollable but was extremely happy to see me. I spent the next hour or so with her, holding her, talking to her, singing, praying. The storm right over our heads, as was a huge, ancient oak. I prayed that the oak would not fall on the car or the house. After a particular loud clap, I thought I should check to make sure Eris was ok and that Philip was not awake wondering where I was. I again hurried through the rain and then tiptoed to the bedroom. Both humans were sound asleep, so I returned to comfort Maiden. I was never so happy to come to the end of a storm. I usually don't mind thunderstorms and even enjoy the display of power and the refreshing rain, but they are better enjoyed from the comfort of a home than the back of a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment