Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Missing Autumn

I've lived in a climate before that does not have a full autumn. I missed the dramatic changing and falling of leaves when I went to college in New Orleans. Then in Beersheva Israel, cool weather didn't come until much later in the year. But this is the first time I have experienced the complete absence of the season. A few weeks ago, I overheard another American trying to describe Fall to a Thai woman: how the weather is cool, the leaves change color and fall, people rake piles of leaves and children jump in them. The discussion didn't go on to the apples and pumpkins, hay rides, cozy sweatshirts, and pink cheeks, but my mind did. I thought of the smells of dry leaves, candles burning in jack-o-lanterns, and warm homemade apple sauce. Today, I found myself tearing up when I saw some pictures posted on Facebook of beautiful orange leaves above a person wearing warm clothes. Yes, I really do miss Autumn!

I don't know when the next time I will get to wear a sweatshirt will be. It is unimaginable when I will next see snow. We will once again be in the minority of people celebrating Christmas. (Ironically, very few people celebrate it in the country of His birth, since it is a Jewish nation with many Muslims.) I try to remind myself to focus on learning to enjoy the seasons here. So I will tell you what I have so far come to appreciate.

Cool season is approaching. There have already been a few nights where I have happily pulled a sheet up over myself. Granted, a large fan has been running full speed aimed at me, as well, but I'll take what I can get. I look forward to the days when I can walk to the market and back without dripping in sweat. It will be comfortable to take the girls to the park mid-day for a picnic lunch. Everyone will sleep better with cooler nights, and Simeon won't wake up in a pool of sweat. This season is also dry, so I will be able to hang out my laundry without wondering if it will get wet. If we travel up north during this season, I may get a chance to wear one of my soft, comfy sweatshirts. Last year, we experienced an especially cold winter for Bangkok, with the temperature getting down to 60 degrees Fahrenheit!

After cool season, comes hot season. I don't think I've learned to appreciate this season yet. It's still dry, so laundry dries very quickly. It's not as humid as the next season. This is the time of daily playing in the water hose. It is no wonder that the holiday of Song Kran, which falls during this time of year, has turned into a nationwide water fight. Regularly playing in water is the only way to survive this season. The real value of this season is in helping us to appreciate the following season.

Then comes the wet season. It is still very hot, and the humidity adds to the heat index. However, the rains help cool the air down, even if it is only temporary. After surviving the hot season, the first rains are refreshing and feel cooler than they really are. We all have enjoyed splashing in rainstorm or two. The girls don't like the crashing thunder, but maybe when they are older they will have fond memories of shouting with the thunder. The rain also brings more flowers out. Next year, I will try to look carefully to see which flowers bloom at which time of year.

So there you have it, the three seasons of Thailand! I do hope that at some point my children get to experience Winter, Spring, and Fall, but they will certainly appreciate the nuances of Thai seasons better than I.

1 comment:

  1. Well Rachel, here in Corvallis the leaves are quickly falling. The highs have been about 37 lately, and the lows around 31. Come visit us for some fall highlights!!

    ReplyDelete