Saturday, October 25, 2014

To Proofread or Not

In the wee hours of the morning, while trying to get my fussy, teething toddler back to sleep, I wondered about whether I should proofread my blog posts. I decided against it, and here are the reasons why.

1. Limited Time. The main reason that I started a blog is that I enjoy writing, and I wanted an incentive to actually do something with all my "that would make an interesting story" ideas. I have limited "free time," and I'd rather spend it writing than re-writing and editing.

2. Low yield. I could be very wrong in this, but I expect that I would not catch many errors through proofreading my own work. I don't expect that I will make too many mistakes, and those that I do make will not take away from the understanding and enjoyment of the post. Also, if I'm unsure of the proper wording or usage of a comma the first time through, a second reading will likely not improve this.

3. Over-thinking. I have an idea that re-reading what I write may cause me to second guess the content. I may try to insert "fancy" words or rewrite something that was better the first time.

4. Training myself to write. If I am only writing a "first draft," I have to do a good job the first time. I do not have a chance to be sloppy and the fix it. I will have to think about what I'm writing and learn to be precise and concise on the first try. Over time, I hope that my writing will get better, more interesting; more fun to write and to read.

5. I'm doing this for fun. This is not a business venture or part of my professional development. If I make a few mistakes, it shouldn't affect my future adversely. I don't particularly enjoy proofreading, so I'd rather not do it and see how it goes.

So what do you think? Do you proofread your blog? How many mistakes did I make in this post? If a blogger makes a lot of simple errors, does it make you not want to read his or her blog? Thanks for your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment