Sunday, December 9, 2018

Delights of My Life

I delight in Simeon's explanations and questions:
     One morning, "The birds sing because they are having a contest to see which is the best singer." After overhearing a conversation about song-bird contests in the area where we live.
     "Mommy, how do you get a blister?" (When your skin rubs against something too much. Like rubbing against a shovel handle when you dig.) "I think it's better to dig with your hands. Mommy, how do you get a splinter?" (From touching or walking on wood. A little piece can break off in your skin.) "If your skin rubs against something wooden, do you get a blister or a splinter?"

I delight in Calla's discoveries:
     Laying on her tummy on the tile floor to look more carefully at the reflected Christmas lights.
     Scooping up water from our rain-filled walk and trying to figure out how to pour it back out without dumping it on herself.
     Buckling her sandals herself (though, on the wrong feet, of course).

I delight in Eris's study of the Bible:
     Her noticing my mistakes when I tell a Bible story in Sunday School.
     Her questions about the prophets.
     Her love of the Psalms.

I delight in Hollis's enthusiasm:
     The days when she decides to do the "best job ever" on her chores.
     Her singing her favorite Christmas songs at the top of her lungs (as long as we're not all squashed together in the pick-up).
     Her jumping and running after insects in the garden.

I delight in Meriel's sensitive spirit:
     Her remembering to thank me for preparing meals and school lessons.
     Her joy in reading and re-reading books.
     Her carefulness with her littlest sister.

I delight in watching my children with their Grandma and Grandpa:
      Simeon catching butterflies with Grandpa.
     Meriel snuggled on the couch next to Grandma, both reading.
     Hollis dancing to Christmas music with Grandpa.
     Eris beating Grandma and Grandpa in a game of Nerts (card game).
     Calla asking Grandpa to read her bedtime story.
     Eris reading aloud a book to Grandma.
     Meriel getting caught in a rainstorm while on a bike ride with Grandpa.

This is just a small sample of the joys and delights I find each day. I am so blessed to be able watch my children learn and blossom into the wonderful people God has made them.

No comments:

Post a Comment