Monday, December 3, 2018

Awaiting Christmas

This past week has been extremely busy with finishing up the school term, preparing for Grandma and Grandpa's arrival, and getting ready for the second birthday of a very special girl. Even without school lessons, the busyness has potential to continue: helping children shop for and create gifts, decorating the house, preparing my own gifts, cooking and doing laundry for nine, taking Grandma and Grandpa on day-trips, and more. Amidst the bustle, our family commits to expecting and preparing for Christmas in more than material ways.

According to "Dictionary.com" the definition of "advent" is "a coming into place, view, or being; arrival." During the events of the first Christmas, thousands of years preparations were "coming into place" leading to the arrival of One long expected. One of my goals during the Advent season is to give my children and myself an idea of what it would be like to be waiting for the Messiah. After the fact it is simple to see the meaning of "unto us a child is born, unto a us a son is given." Imagine wondering what to expect and being unsure how it would come together.

Some of my favorite Christmas carols express this longing. When I sing "Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus" or "Come, O Come, Emmanuel," I join with Anna and Simeon anticipating the holy arrival. "The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight" conveys my feelings as well as those of the shepherds. I feel the "thrill of hope" in the "holy night of our dear Savior's birth" along with all those present because "long lay the world in sin and error pining." We're so blessed to be on the other side of the waiting. Truly, "Joy to the world; the Lord is come!"

Between swimming in the sea and hanging loads of laundry, I will be relishing the words of the carols and meditating on the words of the prophets. I will be waiting the arrival of the Savior with the full knowledge He has already arrived and accomplished His purpose on earth. This is the joy of Advent. I wish you and your family a blessed Advent Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment