Thursday, November 30, 2017

One Delightful Year

Today marks one year since our precious Calla Olivia entered the world in our own Thailand home. She is my special gift from God. My only son was also my only child with whom I got to stay at home. I longed for a final little girl to share the same experience. Despite having three older daughter, I had never had the opportunity to name one after a flower. My tenacious, curious, curly-haired Calla Lily is definitely my daughter!

After four children, it could be difficult to imagine it would be possible to have another child with such a distinct personality. Yet again, Calla is unlike any of her siblings. She delights in being surrounded by her family. For awhile, she can be friendly with church members and Kids' Club attendee, but then she is ready to recharge with those who love her best. We used to think she was a "homebody," because she would be so excited to come home after being downstairs for Kids' Club or away at church. But then, she had just as much fun when it was just our family in a cabin at a national park. She is really a "family-girl."

With the possibly exception of Eris, Calla is our most persistent. She has pushed and squeezed herself past the baby gate into the kitchen when I was cooking. She has also used her little finger to patiently unscrew a small screw from a kitchen shelf. If she wants something, she will find a way to get it or scream to let the world know of her frustration; but she will not give up until distracted by being scooped up and taken away.

Our little Calla is also very observant. She learned to crawl, then walk, by watching a little boy at church. She noted that a child her age was accomplishing something she did not yet know how to do, so she figured out how to do it. Not long after her friend Luke learned to walk, Calla and I were unable to go to church for a series of Sundays. Calla used those weeks to perfect the technique she had observed in Luke. Our first Sunday back, she proudly walked right up to Luke and began to play with him. I frequently find her attempting to do something she has seen one of her siblings or parents doing. She knows she can learn much from carefully watching.

As always with a little one, Calla has occupied much of my time. But I have tried to cherish the snuggles nursing on the couch, the little hands clinging to my skirt, sharing my pillow in the night. I've not taken any moment with her for granted, and I've even managed to document a few of her "firsts" in a journal. This year had been one delightful blessing with my miracle number five!

No comments:

Post a Comment