Thursday, November 16, 2017

I've Never Been

I long for Ireland. It may seem strange that I would have such a strong desire for a place I've never been. For nearly as long as I can remember, Ireland has captivated me: the songs, the dances, the stories. I delight in green; I am fond of rain; I am enchanted by wild seascapes. And I believe in fairies. I can't entirely explain it, but to Ireland I yearn to go.

This week, we have been studying the Irish Potato Famine. In preparation for this, a couple weeks ago, I pre-read Maggie's Door by Patricia Reilly Giff for Eris. When ever I read about Ireland and the Irish, my fascination revives and intensifies. Reading the story, I could picture my ancestors struggling through the famine, making difficult decisions, losing loved ones to death and emigration. Though my great-great grandparents did not travel to the United States until years later, they most certainly had friends and relatives who voyaged during the Hunger. I have been proud to share with my children a window into the story of our ancestors, and they have been eager to learn. Now, I'm ready for a field trip to Ireland next week.

As much as I really do want to visit Ireland, I don't know if I ever will have the chance. Amidst my wishful dreaming this week, another place I have never been for which I long has come to mind. I am assured that I will some day live in this place, and while Ireland may not live up to my expectations if I do visit, this place will certainly surpasses my most elaborate imaginings. I may not be able to defend my desire to visit Ireland, but I can tell you about this place. Jesus has said He is preparing a home for me there. If He is preparing, it will unquestionably be wonderful. More amazing even, is that He will dwell there with me.

I need to be careful not to let my wish for Ireland make me discontent with my current location. On the other hand, my eagerness for Heaven encourages me to live each moment here with and for my Lord. In daily, worshipful obedience to Him, this life can be more like Heaven, and I will be prepared when it is time to travel there. I can still hope to walk the Emerald Isle, but I will keep my heart on the streets of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment