Thursday, October 19, 2017

Of Plants and Prayers

Just the day after I wrote about my laundry balcony and lovely plants last week, I discovered that my two little trees are infested with mealybugs. These are little white, fuzzy creatures which suck their sustenance from the plant, destroying their host. Ants feast on a nectar-like substance that mealybugs excrete, so I was able to follow trails of thousands of ants around the plants, tracking down hundreds of bugs and squashing them. In my zeal for ridding my plants of these pests, I probably spent nearly thirty minutes searching them out. I finally had to return downstairs when I heard Calla screaming, Simeon fussing, and Meriel shouting. I don't normally take that long just to start a load of laundry and chaos was breaking loose.

Later in the day, I went back up to hang laundry. I discovered still more of the creatures of the blight.  One of the trees looked especially droopy and had a few yellowing leaves. I berated myself for not noticing earlier, but the bugs like to hide in places where to two branches cross or under leaves, so are difficult to spot. We always have thousands of ants around our house, so their presence didn't seem unusual. In the limited time I could spend on the balcony before running back downstairs to corral, calm, and teach children, I killed all the bugs I could find. While I hung laundry, I found myself praying that God help my plants to survive.

I know that God cares about me and all life on earth, so I don't think praying for my plants is wrong. However, the story of Jonah did come to mind and convicted me about my priorities. If you don't remember the less celebrated ending of Jonah, I'll give a quick synopsis. After Jonah warn the Ninevites about God's impending wrath, he sits outside the city to see what happens. A plant grows up and provides shade for Jonah. While Jonah rests in the shade, the people of the city repent and God forgives and spares them. At this point, Jonah becomes upset with God; he wanted the people to get what they deserved. (How easily we forget to be thankful that we don't get what we deserve....) Then God allows a worm to come and destroy Jonah's plant. When Jonah complains, God explains to Jonah that his love for people, including those of Ninevah, is greater than Jonah's love for the plant which he did nothing to help create or grow, so why shouldn't He have pity on His creation?

I concluded that I could indeed continue to pray for my plants, but I should first be more diligent in praying for the people whom God loves and asking Him to give me His heart for the lost. I do regularly pray for the ministries here - Kids' Club and English Class. But I don't routinely pray for the neighborhood and the future of this church. In this season, God is teaching me to pray faithfully for that which He lays on my heart. So I am using my afflicted plants to remind me to bring to the Father all the lost walking, riding mo-peds, and living in my neighborhood each day.

In January, Tawipon Church (where we live) will begin holding regular Sunday morning church services. Ajan (Pastor) V, will be leading with Philip also sharing some. I commit to praying diligently for my neighbors; for Ajan V, his family, and other involved in the ministry; and for the upcoming infant church. God used the jeopardy of my plants to get my attention and remind me of something I should already have been doing. I hope that my trees don't have to die, but if they do, may many new lives be born through the resulting prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment