Thursday, October 5, 2017

First Steps

Let me invite you to a scene of delight: last Thursday evening...

I am reading Hollis's bedtime story, Jungle Drums by Graeme Base, about a little warthog who learns to be happy with who he is. Calla is standing, leaning against the couch. Out of the corner of my eye, I catch her stepping forward; she takes one steady step, then a second, before toppling forward to her knees. Her first steps! I interrupt the story to clap and cheer for her. The kids are wildly excited - hopping about, laughing and cheering. I finish the story with a wide smile on my face.

A bit later, Philip is eating a late supper after English class. The younger kids are supposed to be completing the final steps in preparing for bed. Calla is trying to climb up onto the couch. I kneel on the floor a few steps away. "Come here, Calla! Walk to Mommy!" And she does.

All thoughts of bedtime are put on hold as Calla becomes a star. The kids take turns. One of them helps Calla stand steady against the couch, while another kneels a few steps away. "Come here, Calla! Walk to me!" And she does. Sometimes two steps, sometimes four or five. A few times, she successfully toddles the distances and walks confidently into outstretched arms. More often, she ends up falling headlong the last bit.

Every effort is met with cheering and clapping. Calla delightedly claps for herself. Simeon crows about the "wonderful baby walking show." Philip beams from the dining room table. I gladly take my turn as the receiver of the this talented baby. A baby taking her first steps is a small miracle. This night will become a precious jewel of a memory for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment