Thursday, September 7, 2017

Bees!

Day 3 at Nam Nao was waterfall hike day. Two waterfalls were supposed to be 500 meters from each other, so we figured we could make it to both. We easily found the start of the trail, though we almost missed the turn off because there were no warning signs. The first part of the trail was wide and easy to follow. We quickly made it the 300 meters or so to a sign post pointing right to Haew Sai Waterfall and left to Sai Thong Waterfall. We chose to do the longer hike first, so veered to the left. About 100 meters along, we came to a rushing stream. Apparently, we were at the top of a waterfall, probably Haew Sai. We carefully maneuvered our way on a ledge of stone across the top of the falls. We hiked through a bamboo forest, zig-zagging, crouching under, and stepping over fallen canes. Down a bit, then up a bit, going along the ridge.

By this time, we had hiked more than 500 meters, and I realized that the distance given between waterfalls on the map given at the ranger station was very wrong. I also recalled that the distance on the sign post to Sai Thong Waterfall had been 4 digits, but I hadn't really registered it, because I was so sure it was not a long  hike. I thought the number had started with a 3; Philip thought a 2. Either way, it would be somewhere between a 4-6 km hike to get there and back. For now it was an enjoyable hike on a clear trail, so we'd go for awhile until we were ready to turn around and retrace our steps.

Before long, we came to a point, as is common on trails in Thailand, where it wasn't clear which way the trail went. Philip went one way, Grandpa went another. Soon it was apparent that Grandpa was on the correct trail, so we all trooped that way. Grandma placed some bamboo sticks pointing toward the correct way back. We chuckled, because we didn't think it would be necessary. The trail went down toward a dry creek bed. Grandpa said that this would have been a nice waterfall if there was water in it, but we were certain this wasn't the waterfall we were hiking toward.

The hike went uphill again, and we became strung out. Grandpa was ahead with Eris and Meriel; then me with Calla and Grandma with Hollis. Philip brought up the rear with Simeon. The trail was in the sun and we were getting hot and thirsty, longing for a cool waterfall; but we weren't quite ready to turn around to go to the other falls yet. Suddenly, I heard frantic screaming from Meriel! She is given to panicking over little things, so at first I didn't think much of it. When the screaming continued, I thought she must have stepped in an ants' nest and was having trouble shaking them off. Then the screams were mixed with crying. Eris dashed toward me and shouted, "Bees!" She had a swollen ankle and a wild, frightened expression.

Philip heard Eris and dashed off to help Grandpa rescue Meriel. Eris grabbed Hollis's hand and ran back down the trail. Grandma and Simeon ran a little ways, too. Philip brought a sobbing Meriel to me. No bees were pursuing them, so I called to Grandma and Eris to stop. I saw Grandma and Simeon stop and assumed that Eris and Hollis were right in front of them and had stopped, too. I worked to calm Meriel, made sure that no bees were in her clothes. Her main concern was that she had dropped her camera. Philip went back to get her camera and make sure Grandpa was ok.

After a few moments, I was reassured that Meriel was ok. I glanced over to Grandma to make sure that everyone else was fine and together. I didn't see Eris or Hollis. Grandma said that they hadn't stopped running, even though she had relayed my command, and she couldn't see them. I was reluctant to leave Meriel by herself. Grandma and Simeon walked a little way ahead, until they could see the dry creek bed - no Eris. I told Meriel that Grandma and Simeon would be right there, but I needed to go look for Eris and Hollis. She assured me she was ok. I began to run as fast as I could on the rough ground with Calla strapped to my front in the baby carrier. I thought that any minute I would overtake them. I shouted, "Eris! Hollis!" I noticed many more off-shoots from the trail than I had before. I hoped that Eris had managed to stay on the trail. I didn't hear any response. A couple of times, I smelled a strong animal scent, like an animal had recently crossed the trail. I prayed that the girls would be safe and not get lost. I was thankful that they were at least together.

After awhile, I had to slow down, but I continued to walk quickly, shouting as I went. I had just heard a very faint response, when Philip caught up with me. I couldn't quite tell which direction it came from. After a few more calls, we confirmed that it was still from up ahead. Philip hurried past me, and I waited for the others to catch up. I was so relieved to have heard their voices. I knew that they were ok, and they were at least in the right direction.

It seemed a long time before we were finally all reunited at the top of the waterfall, though it was really only several minutes. Eris had stopped to soak her stung ankle in the water. I gave each girl a huge hug. Eris explained that when he heard about the bees, Daddy had told her to "run!" So she had taken her little sister and ran! She had stayed on the main trail and even used Grandma's arrow. I let myself calm down, release the adrenaline. Certainly exciting, but not in a fun way, to have one of my little girls step in a bee hive and stung 9 times, followed by two of my other little girls off in the jungle by themselves.

We made the short hike down the the base of Haew Sai Waterfall. It was beautiful and calming, the water refreshing. Grandpa swam, the kids splashed in the water and mud. We rejuvenated ourselves for the hike back to the van. When we got back to the sign post, we were unanimous in our desire to NOT go down the trail to Sai Thong Waterfall.

1 comment:

  1. "I didn't see Eris or Meriel."
    Correction:
    "I didn't see Eris or HOLLIS."

    ReplyDelete