Saturday, August 19, 2017

Doll Doctor

I gave my Kirsten doll to Meriel for her birthday this year. When I was about her age, I saved my money to buy the American Girl doll. I sent the money and order in the mail, and she arrived with beautiful braided hair and soft brown shoes. She is now a well-loved, much-played-with doll. When I outgrew her, I lent her to my younger cousins who took her to Japan. Eris took her on some play-dates while we were in the United States this winter. Eris has another of my dolls, Kathy, so I wanted Meriel to have Kirsten.

After we arrived in Thailand, Meriel talked about how she wanted a Kirsten doll. She did not know that mine was hiding in a suitcase waiting for her birthday. We looked online and found that no new ones are being made now, so Kirsten dolls are quite expensive. Meriel especially noted how new Kirsten dolls had their hair braided, and she wanted her doll to have braided hair. I thought that I would just braid my dolls hair before wrapping it.

The afternoon before we were to celebrate Meriel's birthday, I helped the kids wrap her presents for her. Then I got out Kirsten to wrap. Her hair was a tangled mess! There was no way I could braid it. I spent hours gently teasing the knots and making the dreadlocks into kinky hair. Much of her hair was missing or short, but I finally managed two braids which looked much better than the mat she had before. I dressed her in her original outfit, including shoes and socks. Overall, I was pleased to be able to give her to my little girl.

When Meriel opened the bag, a look of delight lit up her face. "It's Kirsten!" I told her that she was my doll. Meriel said she didn't recognize her with her braided hair and different dress. She was so happy to have her. She loved her. We decided to leave her behind when we went on our trip to the jungle, so she would be kept clean and safe. As soon as we got home, Meriel ready to carry her around and care for Kirsten some more.

Yesterday, Meriel and Hollis had tussle over the outcome of a card game. Hollis pulled Kirsten's leg; Meriel held on to her body. I was in the kitchen fixing supper when I heard a wailing, "Hollis pulled Kirsten's leg off!" Meriel and Hollis were both sobbing. I was so upset, I just grabbed Hollis and marched her upstairs to Philip's study. I needed some time to calm down, to comfort Meriel, to mourn my doll. But it would do no one any good to burn the potato cubes or bell peppers. I gave Meriel a quick, tight hug; then finished supper. By the time supper was finished, I was ready to calmly talk to Hollis.
It's hard to tell, but Kirsten's right leg was completely detached.

Last night and this afternoon, I researched how to reattach an American Girl doll leg. Since I'm not a doll expert, I was a bit concerned. I wasn't sure I wanted to take off her head and unstuff Kirsten. But I figured if I was going to do it, I'd better to it right. If I can perform surgery on a human, I should be able to do it on a doll. So this evening, I decided to go for it. With a pair of pliers, a hair band, and some tenacity, I reattached Kirsten's leg. Meriel and I were both pleased with the results; Kirsten was even strong enough to stand!
So now I am a doll doctor, too. Doctor's instructions: Do not pull on Kirsten. But I was able to give Hollis a big hug and tell her that she is more important than a doll. And she better not pull off Calla's leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment