Sunday, November 18, 2018

Don't Wish to Switch Places

First Corinthians tells us "there is no temptation except what is common to man..." Sometimes it can feel like our challenges and difficulties are unique. That no one else is facing the same struggles we are. Satan wants us to feel alone and weak, but it is simply not so. I believe a very common struggle for people today is to see posts on Facebook or blogs (or email newsletters) and think that everyone else has a wonderful life with few problems. After all, people don't (and maybe shouldn't) around telling the world about the hard times in their lives. Even when we do share struggles, we might sugar coat them to sound more spiritual or less complaining.

Now I do have a blessed life, living next to the sea in Thailand with five wonderful children and a loving husband. But I struggle with living overseas with five challenging children and a less than perfect husband. I see pictures of people on vacation or with groups of girlfriends or with homeschool groups, and I want what they have. Then I realize that people see my pictures and posts of darling children, interesting wildlife, and fun, family adventures; and they might want what I have. So lest you want to switch into my life, here are some not so great things.

I am lonely. I have one English speaking friend living nearby. We met not long ago so we are still in the new friend stage and not close yet. We are both busy with our children and ministries and don't always get to see each other regularly. I am thankful for her, as this is an improvement over the no friends I had before. If you go to an English-speaking church or have many English-speaking friends living near you, be thankful for them and don't wish to switch places with me.

I homeschool and teach Sunday school. I am responsible for all five of my children every moment of every day. Philip takes the kids to Nakhon Si Thammarat City approximately every two weeks (in reality it happens a bit less often) giving me an afternoon to myself. This is more than I had before we moved here, so I am extremely thankful for this time. If your kids have a Sunday School teacher (or nursery worker) or school teacher that is not you, be thankful for them and don't wish to switch places with me.

I hang dry my laundry even on rainy days. As I hung laundry on a clothes rack in front of the fan the other day, I couldn't remember how people in the U.S. dried laundry in inclement weather. I didn't remember many American homes with large fans around. I remembered wood stoves in some houses which would be useful. Then I remembered - clothes dryers! If you have a clothes dryer (or a dish washer), be thankful for it and don't wish to switch places with me.

I have a very small round counter top oven. I am very thankful for this because before I got it for my birthday a couple years ago, I had no oven, just a two burner stove. It takes me twice as long to back the two layers of birthday cake or enough pie or bread or any baked good to feed my hungry family. I can't put a large casserole in the oven for supper or bake potatoes and squash together. If you have a full sized American oven which can roast a turkey, be thankful for it and don't wish to switch places with me.

Each person has their own set of blessings and own set of struggles. God has paired them uniquely for each of us in a way that will grow us and stretch us while giving us the encouragement that we need. I should not wish for your blessings any more than I would wish for your challenges. I accept with joy the blessings God daily pours out, and I will accept the troubles He allows. I won't wish to switch places with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment