Sunday, October 28, 2018

Sufficiency and Reliance

When our children are tiny, as their mothers, we are everything to them. We are literally their world for the first nine months. I love those first six months after birth, knowing that I am capable of providing everything my growing baby needs. I am sufficient, and she relies only on me. But as our little ones grow, they need more than we alone can give. They begin to taste something other than mother's milk; it is easier for them to away from Mommy's side for a short time. Soon after, they start to explore their world through crawling, then walking, then running. We can't keep them in our arms all the time. They need solid food, freedom to explore, and time away from Mommy.

The good, but also exhausting news, is that while we are no longer sufficient for our children, they still rely on us for many of their daily needs - for years. I am entering the period of motherhood where my children are growing up. I have more "big kids" than "little kids," and my baby is nearly two years old. I miss the days with a little one nestled in my arms breastfeeding. My job is still to provide sustenance for my children. After all, the first words out of Simeon's mouth in the morning are, "What's for breakfast?!" I am also comforter, educator, and companion.

While my children are home with me, my main task is to point them toward the One who always will be their Sufficiency. One to whom they can turn with every need and can always be relied upon. I may only be able to be enough and all for six months. Jesus is Enough and All for always. I pray that I show by my actions and words that I know this to be true. When I am tired, discouraged, lonely, anxious, angry, overwhelmed; may they see me at the feet of One who can refresh, strengthen, and offer peace.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness."
1 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment