Friday, February 13, 2015

Sunrise Swim

We hadn't had all our plans set before we left Bangkok, but I had read up on some nature activities to do in the area. Philip had wanted to do some hiking, and I had a place in mind. We hired a van and driver for the day for 1,600 baht. We planned to have him drive us by the central bus station in the afternoon to get tickets back to Bangkok. Since we might be leaving Friday morning, my dad and I wanted to have a chance for a swim. Scuba diving is not the swam as just swimming at the beach. We got up early on Thursday morning and headed out to the cool, uncrowded beach. I noted that the number of people on the beach was much fewer than it would be in a few hours, although it would still be considered a "crowded" day at the beach on the Oregon Coast.

We waded in the refreshing water in the soft early morning light. Looking past the unsightly jumble of building along the beach front, I could catch a glimpse of the island before it became one giant tourist trap. The steep hillsides are covered with small trees and craggy outcroppings, nearly impossible for developers to built upon. Sunlight seeped out from behind the mountain but no distinct rays were visible yet. We dipped ourselves all the way under water and began to swim out.

We chatted as we tread water. I watched the sun start to peek over the mountain. Fingers of light reached up first, highlighting the peaks and leaving the crags in shadow. The the firey ball began to appear, a slight half dome. I could detect no movement as it slipped up; just everytime I blinked, I could see a sliver more. The sky was too clear for any spectacular color display, allowing for the pure sunrise to be austere and resplendent at once. Once the sun had cleared the ridge, I went back to my swimming. Before long, it was time to head back to get ready for the day. Refreshed, we were ready for a jungle hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment